Create climate-positive projects using Toucan’s infrastructure on Celo
Protecting Earth requires scalable impact and rapid coordination. Use programmable carbon to integrate real climate action into your existing project or to build a dApp that furthers the carbon market.
Welcome to Build_With Celo
A monthly virtual hackathon that invites developers around the globe to design and build an idea for all. Every month comes with a new challenge, use these challenges as an opportunity to iterate and improve on your idea or to bring a new idea to reality.
🏆🏆🏆 20K in prizes every month up for grabs
Build Tokenized Carbon dApps with Toucan
Toucan is building technology to move carbon credits onto open blockchains. This unlocks innovation and financing for meaningful climate action at scale.
What is possible with Toucan?
Buy and Sell Carbon Credits
Tokenized carbon credits provide a transparent data taxonomy and trading history. This transparency helps buyers make educated purchasing decisions, which incentivizes high-quality carbon supply.
Make better net zero claims
You can retire carbon credits that are tokenized with Toucans infrastructure. These retirements can be verified by anyone at any time.
Carbon as a composable building block
Once tokenized on a public blockchain, carbon credits can connect to any DeFi application, and Web3 builders can create any range of applications with the asset
What can you build with Toucan?
Click on the following bullet points to see some ideas you could build during the hackathon.
- A carbon storefront: set up a storefront to sell credits available in our pools
- Automated buying product: trigger credit purchases on events like an e-commerce transaction"
- Real-time offsetting based on similar triggers e.g. Uber ride, streaming a movie
- Develop an improved pool design that solves the tendency for the price to drift downwards
- Implement an automated regression market maker in Solidity
- Develop a tool to confirm whether an account’s retirement portfolio on Toucan meets Climate Neutral’s Requirements for Emissions Compensation.
- Can this tool be generalized to query Toucan’s retirement records based on a list of accounts, date windows, retirement beneficiary, and a query string or hashtag in the retirement detail?
- Could you create a tool to let anyone customize which credits are eligible? Based on issuing standard, methodology, vintage, proportion of portfolio, etc.
- Bonus: whitelist an account for a hypercert if it is eligible
- Make it verifiable: can anyone drill down past the aggregate dashboard and examine each individual retirement transaction on a blockscanner?
- Can you filter the leaderboard so only retirements that meet certain quality criteria appear? i.e. “Nature-based carbon retirements leaderboard” or “2021 vintage retirements leaderboard”
- Integrate carbon tokens, pool tokens, or other related tokens (LP tokens, etc) into existing DeFi protocols in a new way to bring more utility to tokenized carbon (i.e. loans, options, DEXes, etc)
- Call-out: We have a Witnet price feed for NCT/cUSD on Celo — what could you build with this?
- Build a dapp that uses the advanced functionality of Toucan’s token contracts, specifically deposit and redeem for the carbon pools, and retire for the TCO2 tokens
- Write a contract where whenever it receives a token, the contract automatically swaps the token for NCT, then auto-redeems and retires TCO2s. Could you include a custom retirement message?
- Build an basket retirement dapp, where retirement actions retire a set of different TCO2 tokens
$10,000 cUSD for 10 projects. $1000 cUSD each
As a Developer Advocate for Toucan and Celo Lena works on making tech accessible while fighting against how Global climate change reinforces disparate economic, social, and racial conditions. With a huge number of web3 hackathons under her belt, Lena is a hackathon lover who believes in their power to onboard people, learn about new technology, and unleash creativity.
Eric has a background building consumer mobile and web products. He looks for clean user experienced optimized for simplicity and user experience.
John is helping build a brighter future for humanity. His background has focused on the application of spatial data technologies within the consensus economy. He has experience as technical architect, educator, connector, writer, and occasional developer / data scientist.
Daniel is a community designer, architect and technologist. He is a partner at the Celo Foundation working on community development programs.
Anna is a community lead on the Developer Relations team at the Celo Foundation. Prior to joining the Foundation, Anna led community growth at the Maker Foundation and has played an active role in the transition to MakerDAO. She's part of Meta Gamma Delta, Kernel, and Crypto Nomads Club, and is very happy living out of a suitcase if it means traveling the world and meeting community IRL.