Celo is the carbon-negative, mobile-first, EVM-compatible PoS blockchain where developers can build decentralized applications that create the conditions for prosperity — for everyone.
Please see the following Hackathon Ideas list for inspiration and to learn more and come chat with us at the booth, we want to hear what you're building!
🌱 Climate and ReFi
Use the Celo Platform to develop sustainable solutions for our world. Some ideas to get you started might fall within tokenizing natural capital assets, tokenized carbon offset, ways to fund conservation, DAO’s for funding and coordination of climate action, and much more. Below are some ideas, feel free to use your creativity and come up with use cases to use blockchain to build a more regenerative future — powered by Celo.
- Natural Capital Liquidity Provider analysis
- Climate Collective — Interoperable dApps with any Climate Collective member or grantee
- Example: Use Toucan Protocol to build applications with programmable carbon credits on Celo.
- Carbon Credits — ideas for tokenizing, utilizing or finding ways to burn them
- Ecosystem Restoration — tokenization of land: forests, kelp farms, etc
- EthicHub — Use Ethic bonds to propose an innovative DeFi / ReFi protocol
- UBI — Utilizing UBI tokens (example: Impact Market) and/or cStables (cUSD, cEUR, cREAL) for a regenerative economies project
💱 Payments, DeFi, Stablecoins
- Credit delegation-based lending solutions (e.g. employer lending, community finance, point of sale lending)
- Asset financing lending model (collateralized by the asset)
- Micro insurance solutions (farmers, gig-economy)
- Savings circles utilizing stablecoin rewards (cUSD, cEUR, cREAL) and fiat onramp/offramp
- Carbon offsetting for walking (StepN meets ReFi)
- Real world lending aggregator (e.g. showing different real world lending across protocols such as EthicHub and others)
- Cross chain liquidity solution (you can use Hyperlane on Celo) to create infrastructure for any Celo protocol to draw liquidity from another L1. Examples include:
- Seamless bridging into impactMarket directly getting donations from another L1 wallet
- Accessing liquidity on Uniswap v3 on Celo and Ethereum depending on need and token pair
- EthicHub accessing lending from another L1 or creating a pool on Goldfinch
🌏 Public Goods, Community
👾 DAOs, NFTs, Gaming
- Investment DAO — Allowing members to buy a stake in new Web3 projects
- A DAO for members with different skills (Music, Dance, Art, Tech, etc.) can collab and work together
- FractionalDAO — Allows members to buy a fraction of an NFT/assets
- FarmDAO — DAO of members who buy farms and lend them to farmers (who can’t buy farms, thus giving employment) and the revenue is shared with the farmer and the farm owners
- Education DAO — A DAO for community members to create educational content
- Heritage Site Preservation DAO — A DAO where members invest by buy tokens / NFT of a heritage site and stake it to the person who preserves the site and then the revenue is shared between the preserver and the NFT / token holders.
- Dissolvable DAOs for rapid, targeted crowdfunding
- Dynamic NFTs based on the regenerative work you do (Planting tree)
- NFT pricing mechanism
- POAP Platform for Celo
- Carbon Negative NFTs — A portion of NFT sale will be used to remove carbon from the atmosphere.
- TreeNFTs — For each NFT sale, a Tree IRL will be planted
- NFT Analytic Platform — Show analysis of NFT projects based on Celo
- Play-2-earn game with part of winnings go towards carbon-offsetting
🏆 General Ideas — Best Overall
Use your creativity, Best Overall category will reward innovative projects on Celo. Any category is fair game, but here are some more ideas to get you started.
- Web 3 Infrastructure & Developer Tooling — Contribute to Celo's mobile-first blockchain platform.
- Offline transactions —Support for offline or local network transactions in the Celo blockchain client for use in wallets with low connectivity. For example, this would allow a user without internet access to send a transaction via a merchant’s PoS or phone using NFC, Bluetooth, or 2 QR code scans.
- Privacy (identity and transactions) —We are interested in R&D and implementations around compliant ways to preserve privacy as it relates to on-chain identities and transactions.
- Plumo provers — Plumo requires participants that can contribute computational resources to run Plumo provers to produce proofs and gossip them across the network.
- WASM Light Client — Celo has an incredibly efficient light client. It would be amazing if it could be compiled to WASM so that it could run in web apps allowing web-based dapps to connect with the network in a P2P fashion and therefore becoming more censorship and surveillance resistant. This would require compiling and linking the Go and Rust portions of the Celo client (light client only) to WASM.
- Efficient Light Client Gas Estimation — Celo's light client is particularly good for building truly decentralized mobile applications. Unfortunately, gas estimation gas can be expensive sometimes because of the way that a light client executes a smart contract locally and fetches the data it needs to do so in a sequential manner. It would be better if a full node could execute the same transaction locally to decipher all the data that needs to be sent to the light client in a bulk fashion.
- More SMS Providers — Celo has a decentralized phone verification protocol where elected validators run an Attestation Server that is randomly sampled to send verification text messages. Currently, validators use MessageBird, Twilio, and Nexmo to send verification text messages to new users getting onboarded onto the platform. Unfortunately, these providers don't work in some markets (e.g. China, Brazil, etc). It would be compelling to add provider bindings to additional SMS providers so that more markets can be reliably covered.
- Off-chain and multi-token voting like Snapshot
- User-friendly browsers
- Earning programs — Proposals that help people to earn Celo assets for eg: microwork
- Referral, rewards, and cashback programs — Proposals that enable Celo users to refer their friends and family, transact, and earn rewards using Celo assets